Pages

Friday, March 22, 2024

How I Spent My Day Today

I thought it was the first day of Spring today, but I must have been confused, because I guess it was a couple of days ago. 

Anyway, since I have managed to continue working from home, at least for a bit, let's hope it lasts, this time as an independent contractor, I'm able to pretty much work whenever I feel like it, and take my breaks outside as I see fit, enjoying the moments when it is quiet outside and my annoying neighbors are not around. 

It's kind of a less than ideal atmosphere, for multiple reasons, but it's not all bad. For example, there is a large and very old tree right across the parking lot from where I live, which is the seasonal home of hawks and ravens and owls, which are always welcome company. 

I also had a hummingbird almost land on me today, and it hovered in front of me, completely surprising me, where it seemed to be looking directly at me for a moment, and then landed on a branch on the big tree directly behind me. 

I'm actually sitting on the curb of the parking lot where I live, because my apartment is completely in the shade, and I wanted to sit in the sun, and also be able to keep a close eye on my apartment.

Here's a picture from my mid-afternoon snack: 

I don't believe I am a super narcissistic person, but honestly this camera, which is an android phone, does not take very good self-portraits. 

I do realize I am getting up there in the years, but for some reason this phone distorts my face, causing some weird indentation on my nose, that doesn't really exist, and it's extremely annoying, to such an extent that I will probably either get an iPhone at some point, or a proper camera, just to be able to take pictures that more accurately reflect reality. 

Anyway, this is a great snack: Manzanilla olives, Swiss cheese, plum tomatoes, and herb crackers from Trader Joe's. I sit out here frequently throughout the day. Since I have complete control over the time I spend working, I can work for an hour, sit outside for an hour, and do whatever I see fit. 

It felt pretty warm today, though, not so much the ambient air temperature, but more so the intensity of the sun, the UV index, it felt noticeably different than just a couple days ago. So, pretty soon I won't be sitting in the sun anymore. 

Being from a cold northern climate originally, and now living close to the Mexican border, I can honestly tell you that when I was up north, especially in the Winter time and Spring, that when you get sunny days up there, even though it's cold, sitting in the sun is much more enjoyable when it is cooler outside. 

Here you just burn, and overheat, and that is not fun. 

No comments: