Pages

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Simple Home Remedies for Treating Covid

It's been about two years since I've last been sick. And because I had been working from home during the entire pandemic, and haven't traveled out of the city, or used public transit, or ate out at any restaurants, or attended any public entertainment venues, I have actually never been tested for Covid, either. But I did get really sick back in 2021, lost ten pounds in a short period of time, had difficulty swallowing, rapid heart beat and shortness of breath without exertion, and felt like I was going to die, and I speculate that it very likely could have been Covid. 

I mention this because I've been sick the last few days. It started the middle of last week, with a bit of a tickle in my throat, and a dry cough, and in a few days ended up developing into extreme fatigue, headache, sore throat, and just a general feeling of not being well. 

Since it had finally started to cool off around here, which means highs in the 80s and 90s, instead of 100s, which is still kind of hot, but after such a long stretch in the 100s, it felt surprisingly comfortable, so I've been getting back into riding my longboard, and taking long walks, alternating between running and walking, improving my VO2 Max, and working on running a 5k. So I did a lot of high intensity exercise last week, but as I said I noticed a dry cough starting the middle of last week, and was also really sore from my last longboard workout, where I did four miles in 30 minutes, and so I decided to take a couple days off, but Sunday, I started feeling much worse, and Monday, I could barely get out of bed, so I pretty much slept Monday and Tuesday, and I woke up early this morning with severe insomnia, feeling dead tired, and couldn't get back to sleep, and had a terrible headache, and sore throat. So I smoked some CBD, and was able to get back to sleep, and after lounging in bed all day, am feeling a bit better now. 

So, I thought I would write a post about some of the things I did in the past when I was really sick, which may have been Covid, and the methods I used for self-treatment which really worked, and helped me feel much better. 

1) Vitamin C.

Like I said before, this is the first time I've been sick in two years, and I think the reason why I've gone so long without getting sick, is because of three habits I've consistently applied to my life since the last time I was sick. The first one is daily supplementation of Vitamin C powder. I don't like to swallow pills, so I prefer taking it in powder form, you just add it to a glass of water and drink it. I've been taking 1000mg of Vitamin C twice a day, everyday for the last two years, and it's really helped a lot. 

If you are really sick, and things don't seem to be improving, I would easily recommend increasing your daily vitamin C intake to 10,000 mg a day. You don't want to take it all at once though. Take either 500mg or 1000mg every hour, or every other hour, over a ten to twenty hour period of time. It's completely safe. The worst that can happen will be loose stools. You'll have to experiment with what you can tolerate, but definitely if you're sick, you can take more than 2000mg of Vitamin C per day. You just don't want to take it all at once, because it won't get absorbed, you'll just end up peeing it out. So, if you spread it out, taking smaller doses, over time, it will be more effective. Only do this when you are sick, when you are healthy, stick to the 1000 to 2000mg per day, as a preventative dose. 

2) No refined sugar. 

The second habit I've implemented is to eliminate most sugar from my diet. I've completely cut out cookies and pastries and ice creme and pancake syrup and chocolate from my diet. I do still sometimes have granola bars, which has some sugar in, but for the most part I eliminated 99 percent of all refined sugar from my diet. 

Since I have done this I have not gotten sick at all. And maybe it's a coincidence, but last week I broke down and bought a Danish Kringle from Trader Joe's, just because it was a long established family tradition to eat Kringle over the holidays, and it was a new flavor I never tried before, Pumpkin Caramel, and so of course, not long after that I get sick. Of course, it could just be a coincidence. I did however wear an N95 mask at every store I went to last week, but who knows maybe I unconsciously rubbed my eye or something when I was in the store, or maybe it was that trip to the deli I went to, when I normally never go to deli's, and I noticed a worker sneezing in the back, while the man was preparing my order. Or maybe it was that last day I went for a long walk middle of last week, when I noticed there were a lot of chemtrails in the sky, you know maybe some covert program to dump a new virus down unto the unsuspecting populous. Or maybe it was that last time I was at the grocery store, last Friday, and there was a lady using a bunch of coupons, and there was a problem, and so it seemed like I was waiting in line for a really long time, and standing next to this super chatty fat man, breathing all over me. But a couple days later I could barely get out of bed. 

So, anyway, a good way to avoid getting sick, or to at least minimize the symptoms, and the duration of the sickness, is to take daily Vitamin C, and to eliminate refined sugar from your diet. I'll never know for sure, but I really do believe that having that piece of Kringle reduced my immunity, and made me more susceptible to getting sick, so I will not be eating any more of it, and from now on, I will be diligently avoiding all refined sugar, which means, no more thanksgiving apple or pumpkin pies, and no more birthday cakes, no more donuts, no more chocolate bars, no more pancake syrup, no more jellies or jams, and no more sweets. The only sweets I'll have will be limited to the occasional raw fruit and honey.

3) CBD.

The third thing I've been using is CBD flower, which is a non-psychoactive compound found in the hemp plant, and is actually legal in all 50 US states. It's a very effective pain reliever, if you ever have a headache, or sore muscles, CBD really does work, and it's also a natural and effective sleep aid, and helps to reduce inflammation, is very relaxing, and is helpful with anxiety and depression, and may be useful in treating Covid-19. You can buy it online, and 100 percent recommend getting it from Tweedle Farms. The prices are reasonable, the shipping is very fast, and it's 100 percent organically grown. You don't have to smoke it, it comes in multiple forms, including edibles, topical ointments, as well as tinctures. From this vendor, I recommend Kush Flower, as a sleep aid, do not use during the day, unless you want to sleep; Remedy, for pain relief, day or night, it's relaxing without putting you to sleep; and Lifter, as a stimulant, daytime use only, best for early mornings, outside in nature, and is the closest thing to an actual Sativa cannabis you can legally buy, but with absolutely zero negative effects. Note: CBD flower does contain trace amounts of THC, so despite being completely 100 percent legal, it is theoretically possible that using this product could cause you to fail a drug test.

4) Raw Garlic.

Another effective remedy, which may actually be the most potent, if you are really really sick, is to take raw garlic. It's a natural antibiotic. And it is so potent and effective it could actually save your life. I personally know a person with a severe abscessed tooth, who couldn't get to the dentist, who was in severe pain, with the whole side of their face completely swollen, and they could have died. But the garlic worked, a combination of taking it internally, as well as topically, which although it burned, and was very painful to take, the problem completely cleared up, and it's been years with no recurring flareups or complications. So raw garlic really is a wonder drug and an essential natural home remedy that should always be in your medicine cabinet. You take 2 to 4 cloves of garlic, mush it up, it helps if you use a garlic press, and combine it with food that will help cover up the taste, and make it more palatable, and easier on the stomach. Personally I have found that mixing it with egg salad on saltine crackers, or pasta sauce and parmesan cheese with either bread, noodles, or rice, is the easiest way to take it. You definitely want to mix it with food, as taking garlic by itself can actually burn your mouth and throat, and cause an upset stomach. 

Just do keep in mind that garlic is a natural blood thinner, and so if you are already on blood thinners, or have a condition in which blood thinners could cause a problem, do be advised of this potential interaction.

5) Steam therapy.

I used a facial steamer, ran a humidifier next to my bed, and sometimes just filled my bathroom sink with hot water, and put a towel over my head, and breathed in the steam. It's also very effective to add essential oils. 

6) Essential Oils.

The most effective essentials for respiratory issues are eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil. There are others, but I've found these three to be best. I prefer the brand Aura Cacia. I've tried many brands, and this one may be more expensive, but is definitely more potent than other brands, that are often watered down, and not as effective. Either add the oils to hot water, and inhale the steam, or add a few drops to a hot wash cloth, and put on your face (though be sure to avoid getting any oils in your eyes, and also avoid ingesting internally; and also be aware that both Eucalyptus oil and Tea Tree oil is extremely toxic to cats, and can be fatal to them if swallowed, so be careful with it), and it's really nice to use an aromatherapy diffuser, or simply adding a few drops to a tissue, or a towel, and inhaling that way. I never use Glade plugins, or artificial room refreshers, or scented candles, but only use 100 percent pure essential oils in a diffuser for making my home smell really good.

7) Ginger tea. 

I lived on ginger tea everyday for years. I exclusively used Yogi Tea bags. In fact, before the pandemic, when I used to work at a call center, I used to bring a insulated thermos with ginger tea, and drank approximate two cups of ginger tea everyday for years. 

8) Raw honey/lemon. 

If you have a bad sore throat, having a spoonful of raw honey is very helpful, as is a wedge of lemon, either by itself, or combined. Can also be added to various teas, and homemade syrups. 

9) Cayenne pepper. 

This is really potent, and when I was really sick two years ago, I used a lot of this, usually combined with raw honey and lemon. I'd either mix it with a glass of water, or would add it to herbal tea. When I was having difficulty swallowing, this helped a lot. You typically use either 1/8 to 1/4 a teaspoon per cup of water. Only problem is that it's kind of hard on the stomach, and if you have too much, it may cause an upset stomach and vomiting. 

10) Jalapeno peppers and onions. 

These two things really help open up the airways. Also coffee has similar efficacy, especially if it's very strong, espresso, without sugar. If you are having any shortness of breath, chest congestion, excessive mucus, having a lot of onions, jalapenos, and garlic, will really do wonders. But it's really important to mix it up, you don't want to take this stuff by itself on an empty stomach, you need to mix it with other foods, that make it easier to digest. 

11) Quercetin and Turmeric. 

Quercetin is naturally present in onions and peppers. You can take these two in supplement form, and are both really good antioxidants that are helpful in reducing inflammation. 

12) Gargling with either salt water or hydrogen peroxide.

Hot water and approximately 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt. Or two parts water to one part peroxide. Gargle around the back of your throat, and spit out. 

13) Nasal cleanse. 

You can either use a Neti pot, with purified warm water, and premixed saline packs. Or can buy a premade saline nasal spray. I've had really good results using Xlear brand natural nasal spray with saline and Xylitol. Also, a word to the wise, be careful when using any products containing Xylitol, as it's deadly to dogs. I haven't really used it since that last time I was really sick, but I went through a couple bottles of it, and it really helped.

14) Eye compress. 

You can buy the ones made with the gel beads, that you either heat up in the microwave, or put in the freezer, for either hot or cold treatment. Or you can simply use a wash cloth, either heat it up in the microwave, or soak in boiling hot water, or add ice cubes, and place over eyes, for the same effect. This has been a life saver, particularly when I used to get major eyestrain at my job, and suffered from migraine headaches. Though interestingly enough, ever since I've started using CBD, I no longer get migraines, as it's pretty much cured that problem completely.

15) Fire cider. 

This one is really fun. I lived on this stuff when I was working from home. It's probably easier to buy then to make it yourself. But it's basically a blend of apple cider vinegar, onion, garlic, horseradish, hot peppers, citrus, and honey. You take it in shot glasses, helps to really clean out your airways, and soothes a sore throat, and also has quite a kick to it, which is very invigorating.

16) Stay Hydrated. 

Make sure you are drinking adequate amounts of purified water. I typically drink at least 2 quarts of water a day, not including tea or other beverages. Using a reverse osmosis water filter is best, otherwise invest in a decent water filtration pitcher. I recently switched to the Epic brand pitcher, and am very happy with it, it filters out hundreds of chemicals including, microplastics, and fluoride. 

17) Good nutrition.

This is too complex of a subject to really do justice in a paragraph or less, but when you are sick, what you eat has a powerful influence on how well your immune system functions in fighting off your illness. Besides staying away from refined sugars, it's best to avoid all types of fast food, prepackaged microwave dinners, anything that falls under the category of junk food, including soda pop, cigarettes and alcohol. Now I am a beer drinker, I love drinking my craft beers, but if you're feeling a sickness coming on, it is best to avoid drinking all forms of alcohol. Easier said then done, but at the least, if can't completely abstain, at least try to drink less, you know maybe instead of having two beers, only have one, and drink lots of water, herbal teas, and soups with a lot of broth.

18) Soup.

Which reminds that when I was very sick two years ago, and having difficulty swallowing, the staple of my diet became soup. Drink lots of soup. Whether that be chicken noodle soup, or vegetable soup, just make sure it doesn't have MSG, high fructose corn syrup, canola oil, corn oil, GMO ingredients, or artificial preservatives. And although it is preferable to make your soups homemade from scratch, unless you have someone waiting on you, if you're feeling sick you're not going to want to do that, so in this case having canned soup is perfectly fine. 

19) Fresh Air. 

If you are sick it is really important to make sure you have good air circulation. Open a window, use an air purifier, use a fan, and use some essential oils in a diffuser. It'll smell better and you will feel better. It's really important to get those sick smells, that we sweat out of our bodies when we are sick, vented outside, and purified. Even better if you step outside, especially in the morning when the sun rises, and in evening at sunset. Do some stretches, and deep breathing exercises. It's important to stretch your arms and your legs, especially if you've been in bed for a long time. You don't have to do any major exercise, but just get some fresh air, and doing some light stretching exercises is beneficial.

20) Maintain good hygiene. 

Especially if you are sick, you're sweating a lot of impurities, that are ending up on the surface of your skin, and in your hair. So it's very important to regularly rinse off, and to utilize both the benefits of hot water steam therapy, to exfoliate dead skin, as well as the invigorating properties of a cold water rinse. Just keep in mind though that if you don't use a water filter on your bath or shower, you may be absorbing chemical contaminates from the water, so best not to linger too long and make it quick.  

Keep you teeth clean, regularly brush, and floss, and gargle with salt water and peroxide. Personally I use a fluoride free toothpaste, and at least once a month, I brush my teeth with baking soda, is a natural teeth whitener, and helps to remove tea stains.

As a body cleaner I use Doctor Bronner's magic soap. For deodorant I use the crystal stick, with a couple drops of patchouli essential oil. I keep my fingernails short, and clean.  It's really important to keep your fingers out of your nose, out of your mouth, and out of your eyes, as the finger nails are a major source of bacteria, and is a major pathway for spreading disease. I am routinely shocked to see how many people in stores are touching the shopping cart handle without sanitizing it, and then proceed to touch their phones, and then rub their eyes. It's disgusting. 

So, yeah, don't touch your face, and make sure you wash your hands after going to the bathroom, and before and after eating, and preparing meals, as doing so will go a long way in helping you not to get sick, or to make others sick. Oh, yeah, and also go easy on the hand sanitizer. Using too much hand sanitizer actually ends up killing the good bacteria, and may be counter productive, making you more likely to get sick. I prefer to wash my hands, and only use hand sanitizer sparingly, particularly only if hand washing is not an option, and is really only something I use if I'm in a public place, and exposed to a lot of people. I also do not buy my hand sanitizer, but I make my own using a combination of isopropyl alcohol, aloe vera gel, purified water and tea tree oil.

Conclusion: 

Personally, I avoid all over the counter medications. I do not take any Tylenol or Aspirin or Ibuprofen, or anti-histamines, or any type of over-the-counter cold and flu remedies, or anti-allergy medications. I just personally believe that stuff is poisonous, and does more harm than good. 

I don't get sick very often, but when I do, the methods mentioned here is pretty much what I utilize. Now keep in mind I am not a doctor. This is what works for me, but it may not work for you. If you are very sick, especially if you suspect that you may have Covid, and are elderly or suffering from other co-morbidities, then you may wish to seek professional medical treatment.  But as to myself personally, I consider most hospitals to be death traps, and most doctors to be misinformed, brainwashed salesmen, drug pushers for big pharma, that unless you are suffering from extreme wound trauma, you're more likely to survive if you stay out of the hospital. 

But I just want to add that if you suspect you have Covid, and you are self-treating at home, it's really important to keep an eye on your heart rate and oxygen saturation levels. You can easily monitor those things using a pulse oxy meter, which you can buy online for like ten bucks. Ideally, your oxygen level should be above 95, but if it falls consistently below 90, you may want to see a doctor. 

And for additional information, please take a look at the Zelenko Covid-19 Treatment Protocol.

No comments: