Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Adventures in Synchronicity

Here's an interesting story, and it's a short story, based on the memory of real events. 

There's a grocery store that I shop at nearby where I live, that I absolutely hate, but I only shop there for the convenience of it being close to where I live. 

So, there's an employee there, who looks like a younger, and much shorter version of Rick Steves, the travel guy who tells people how to travel Europe on the cheap if you are an affluent boomer. 

Anyway, this guy works there as a grocery bagger, aka "courtesy clerk", whom I've dealt with as a customer on numerous occasions, but never before had a conversation with, and whom I previously regarded as probably retarded, mostly based on his appearance and mannerisms, you know, short, over 40, and somewhat clueless looking. 

Well, anyway, as I'm waiting in line at the store today, this guy must have been on his break, and was waiting in line behind me, and he says hi, and I say hi back, and so out of a spontaneous urge to make small talk, I ask him how his day is going. 

He says:  "I'd rather be with my books." 

I say: What do you mean? Reading or writing?

He says: Both. I'm a published author. I'm working on a new book. 

I say: Oh, really? Is it nonfiction or fiction? 

He says: I'm writing a supernatural novel. It's a mystery and detective story with a strong focus on the supernatural. Specifically, it's about vampires. 

I say: Oh, that's very interesting...

(Etc. Etc.)

I said something about the creative process, about how having a job that doesn't require a lot of mental effort, but is physically demanding without being mentally draining, is a smart idea for creative people not wanting to be so mentally drained at the end of their work day that they can't create. 

It's very strange to think that some of the people you see bagging groceries and cashiering in grocery stores, may actually be former professionals with Master's degrees. 

No comments: