Pages

Friday, December 1, 2023

Running Update and Recommended Clothing

So I've been running for a few months now, and I'm definitely making good progress. I'm not feeling sore anymore after my runs, because I've learned the importance of warming up and stretching, which has made a world of difference. 

Am currently running about a 12 minute mile, which is slow, even for my age, but when I first started a few months ago, I was like in the 14 minute range, which is embarrassing, but you've got to start somewhere. I'm currently running two miles, 2 to 4 times a week, with the goal being to run 3 miles in 30 minutes or less. 

Before the pandemic, I was actually very fit, road my bike thousands of miles a year, for several years, and also did a lot of hiking, though only ran occasionally, and back in 2020 my VO2 max was about 38, which was good for my age group, but thanks to the pandemic, working from home and not riding my bike to and from work anymore, and also getting really sick in 2021, which was probably Covid, but I wasn't tested so I don't know for sure, I pretty much stopped exercising for a year, and my VO2 Max actually fell down to 32 for a bit, which is really bad, but over the last year my fitness has been substantially improving. 

I've finally been able to raise my VO2 Max back up to 37, which is in the good range for my age group, and I feel confident that I'll be able to raise it up to 40, which is in the excellent range, in a few months. 

I actually feel very good and am presently experiencing the best health of my life, and feel even stronger and healthier than I was before the pandemic, even though I'm three years older. 

Anyway, now that the weather has finally cooled down around here, with temps today in the 50s, I thought I'd mention some of the clothing items I wear for cooler weather running and cycling, which I've recently added to my wardrobe, which have turned out to be some of the best purchases I've ever made, that I now consider to be absolutely essential and would never want to go without. 

1) Neck Gaiter. 

Rain or shine, hot or cold, whether running, hiking, longboarding, or cycling, I never leave home without wearing a neck gaiter. When worn over your mouth and nose, it protects against dust, car exhaust, and bugs. It offers sun protection. It keeps you warm when cold, and it helps to keep you cool when hot. It can also be pulled up to cover your ears, or worn as a hat. I used to wear a bandana around my neck, but the neck gaiter seems more versatile, and also looks better.

2) Arm warmers. 

These are mostly marketed to cyclists, but they work for everything. I find them to be extremely useful, and I don't know how I went so long without trying them. Again, they are extremely versatile, use them to provide extra warmth, and also to provide sun protection. What's really nice about them is that it's easier to regulate your temperature then wearing long sleeves. They provide better ventilation, where not only can you roll your sleeves up, you can also roll them down, venting your armpits. They also take up very little space, so if you overheat, you can easily take them off, and pack them in a pocket.

3) Leg warmers. 

To me, because I live in the desert, it's usually very sunny all year round, and so even when it's cold outside, with the bright sunshine, it can feel pretty warm, and is easy to overheat, so cycling specific leg warmers can be preferable to wearing tights, and even pants, especially when running or cycling. I prefer to wear shorts, and the leg warmers make it easier to regulate your temperature, and are much easier to remove then pants when out in public, and just like the arm warmers, they take up very little room, and are easy to roll up and stuff in a pocket. 

4) Merino wool t-shirts. 

This is something I just upgraded to a couple months ago. I've previously been wearing synthetic fiber athletic t-shirts and cycling jerseys when exercising, but besides smelling really bad, the synthetic materials may also transfer to your skin, crossing the blood brain barrier, and may cause hormonal disruptions, which is definitely not good for your health. Also, because I use natural deodorant, which doesn't last very long, I was getting tired of leaving a trail of stink, whenever I'd go into stores. 

Ever since I switched to wearing a lightweight merino wool base layer, I've had no BO at all. It's truly a miracle fiber. I mean, I could wear the same shirt for two weeks, without showering, run or ride my bike everyday, and do an intense cardio work out, and there will be no bad odor whatsoever. Merino wool is like a natural deodorant. It actually has anti-bacterial properties. It just seems like I'm regulating my temperature better than before, it keeps me cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold, and I'm not sweating as much, and overall I'm feeling much more comfortable, I absolutely love it. 

I bought four lightweight merino wool t-shirts when they were on sale, because they can be kind of expensive, some brands being as much as $100 a piece, and I just rotate them. I wear them everyday, 24 hours a day, for running, for cycling, for sleeping, for everything. Merino wool has truly become a wardrobe essential. And if I ever have to dress up, or wear anything nicer, I will wear it as an undershirt. And I also plan on eventually upgrading to merino wool shorts and pants and underwear, but at over $40 a pair, it'll have to wait.

5) Patagonia Houdini Windbreaker. 

This was kind of expensive, but really worth it. I get so much use out of it. What I really like about it over other windbreakers I've tried, is that not only does it do a really good job at blocking the wind, it's super lightweight, packs down really small, and most importantly it's breathable. It keeps you warm when you need it to, but you will never overheat wearing this. It's the best wind breaker I've ever used, and I think it is well worth the extra price, especially if it will last for many years, which I think it will.

Of course, add to this list, a good pair of running shoes, running shorts, running cap, sunglasses, and a running watch with heart rate monitor. What do I use? 

Shoes? Brooks Ghost. Shorts? I've been wearing these Roadrunner Sports 5 inch inseam running shorts, and am very happy with them. Hat? Outdoor Research Sun Runner cap. Sunglasses? Bolle wraparound with polarized lenses. Watch? Garmin Instinct 2S. An extravagant purchase, but I use it all the time, and am very happy with it. 

Also, I always bring pepper spray, and depending on the temperature, or how far I plan to run, usually a small water bottle. I never wear headphones when running, as I run in an urban environment and need to be aware of my surroundings. And there are some terrible drivers here, that will run you over if you are not paying attention. 

No comments: