Pages

Monday, July 24, 2023

Mirrors and the Power to Reflect the Invisible

I made an interesting observation last night. I have this mirror on my bathroom door, which when the door is open, and you are in the right position in relation to it, you can see the mirror reflection of the bathroom wall mirror in the door mirror, creating a mirror within a mirror effect. I learned that this phenomenon is referred to as the Droste effect. 

Example of Droste effect:

Random image found on Google


So, in my case, I could see a reflection of myself from a distance in the mirror on my door, reflecting off the mirror in the bathroom, which created a Droste effect of myself, showing a mirror within a mirror within a mirror, where the smallest mirror reflection of myself appears very far away. Where maybe instead of 10 feet away, it appeared as if were actually 20 or 30 feet away, which is not really possible, because my room is something like only ten feet wide, so of course it's an optical illusion. 

But this made me think of telescopes and microscopes, how mirrors are used to amplify and to magnify distance, to make faraway objects appear close, and to make smaller objects appear larger.

Okay, not a revolutionary insight, but the second thought that occurred to me is that how just as mirrors are used not only to reflect an image, but to amplify an image that is either too small or too far away to see, this technology could perhaps also be extended to the realm of magical divination. 

So yeah, that's the insight, that while a mirror has real tangible scientific utility in being able to amplify our sense of sight, and to extend our range of vision, it seems also likely that it could perhaps be utilized in such a way that enables one to see into another dimension of reality, such as that indicated in mythological folklore, regarding scrying with magic mirrors and crystal balls, which is really just a spherical 3 dimensional mirror. 

So although this observation has been made long before in a mythological context, that of using mirrors for divinatory purposes, the fact is it's actually a very logical association to make, in light of the fact that mirrors do have the power to amplify our senses, to see that which otherwise would remain invisible.

Example of magic mirror: 

From Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

No comments: