Pages

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

My Favorite Longboarding Videos

Introduction

So, when I was a kid I used to ride a skateboard. I road for probably three or four years, between ages 12 and 15. I was never really a skater per se, back when that was a major subculture, as I couldn't really do tricks, and being a skater was all about tricks, even though I tried and tried to ollie, and actually knew some really good skaters in my neighborhood, with full size skateboarding ramps in their backyards, some of which were semi-pro, literally one of the guys made it into Thrasher magazine, who showed me a few things, but other than riding up and down curbs, I could never really pull it off. 

I wasn't a poseur though, because even though I couldn't do tricks, I was actually really good at riding it, you know just cruising around. I was a natural. Could even switch feet, effortlessly, which is a more advanced skill, usually requiring quite a bit of practice, but I could do it first time I tried. I had really good balance and coordination, and good stamina, and when I got a decent cruiser board, with big wheels, I could go for miles and miles, and had a lot of fun doing it.

Fast forward 30 years later

I had been watching a ton of skateboarding videos on YouTube, and decided I needed to learn how to ride again, and so a couple years ago I ended up buying a Landyachtz Dinghy cruiser board. 

Oh my god, bad idea. That skateboard is an awesome skateboard, but is not really beginner friendly. It's super fast, and a bit too small. I fell the first time I road it, and realized that after all these years, I'm not as graceful as I used to be, and riding a skateboard is really hard, especially when you haven't ridden one in over 30 years, especially if you are over 40,  and don't have health insurance, and realize that it would be financially devastating if you fell off your skateboard and ended up in the hospital. 

So I took a break, realizing that I wasn't ready for this skateboard. I needed something a little bigger, wider and more stable. I needed a longboard. I originally got the cruiser because it had a kicktail, and was thinking I would be doing tricks on it, but I realize now, I'm not going to be doing any advanced tricks at my age, you know as they say tricks are for kids. I may be youthful looking, but not that youthful. I just wanted to ride, I wanted to feel like I was surfing, and I wanted to get a good work out, but also something that was capable of going long distances, something in between running and cycling, and something that I wouldn't break my neck, or my hip, riding.

Buying My First Longboard

After doing extensive research I ended up buying a Pantheon Pranayama, which is probably the best board on the market for mostly flat, long distance commutes. 

I've had it about a year now. It's an awesome board, is really easy to ride, and most importantly, I haven't fallen once. It's not really for hills though, which is fine, because I'm not ready for that anyway. I've been riding it mostly for fitness, mostly as an alternative to running, and so would usually do laps in a school parking lot, near where I live, usually 3 to 5 miles per session, averaging about 8 miles per hour, and would eventually like to go on some longer distance day trips, on some of the bike paths that surround the city. 

But I'm actually taking a break right now, because I've started running again, and am kind of too sore to do both, but have been making some great gains in improving my VO2 max, which took a nosedive during the pandemic, but I'm slowly getting back on track, and once I get better at running, and can run 3 miles without being really sore the next few days, I'll get back into longboarding. 

In the meantime, here's a list of my favorite longboarding videos, that really inspired me to get into this sport, and motivated me to go out and buy my very first longboard ever. I may add some more videos later, if I find any I've forgotten.

1) SECRET LONGBOARD PARADISE?


2) 1 Year after Learning Push Switch | Pantheon Pranayama | Hong Kong Longboard Commute


3) Longboard Crusing in London.


4) LDP Paris 29 novembre 2020



5) My First Ride on the Landyachtz Switchblade 38 Longboard


6) ENDLESS ROADS (complete movie, with Longboard Girls Crew)


Comments: How odd, when I first watched this, I thought these women were a bunch of trannies. You know biological men pretending to be women for financial gain, and the notoriety of being the first "female" to break some new record. It's disgusting, I think it should be outlawed. I still have my suspicions about the blond though. You don't see too many female longboarders. Though I think there would mostly be some interest among those who either surf or snowboard.

7) Get In The Van 2 - Longboarding Full Length Film


8) Pantheon Pranayama Review - A masterpiece


Comments: This is a great board, and is very beginner friendly. This is the one your grandma could ride, just maybe use a cane or paddle, and you'd be good to go. And of course wear a helmet! It's mostly for flat terrain though, so if you plan to ride down hills, I would go with the Pantheon Trip. It's exactly the same as the Pranayama, except it's slightly longer and higher off the ground, having different trucks, which also makes it slightly harder to push, and less portable to carry, but more stable at higher speeds. 

9) Dinghy - Landyachtz - Best Cruiser Board
   
Comments: This is a fun little board, but unless you are in your twenties (or younger), this is not a beginner friendly board.

No comments: