Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Supermoon 2015

Well, a little late coming, but I managed to go for a short walk last night and took a picture of the super moon lunar eclipse rising over the Rincon Mountains. My camera is not very good at taking pictures of the moon, am really long overdue for a new one, so it's not that great, but this is the best picture I was able to get, and considering the fact that this will not occur again for like decades, I thought the moment deserved recording.


This picture was taken around between 6:30 and 7:00 PM Pacific Time, on 9/27/2015. At this point the full moon is almost half eclipsed.

It was a nice night for a walk, a few people were gathered outside my apartment complex, but I took my walk alone. Kind of reminded me of the vibe, on a somewhat smaller scale, when I remember viewing Halley's comet back in I think it was '86. There was some end of the world hysteria associated with that too, just as there was to some degree with this one. But guess what, the world will end some day, whether that means planetary extinction, or destruction of the planet due to whatever reason, it's also called death, something we will all experience eventually, personally, privately, alone, even if the rest of the planet carries on alive and well without us.

Fears of the end of the world, end times hysteria, Armageddon, are largely fears of death itself, something that will definitely happen, but sometimes people feel more at ease taking comfort that they are not dying alone, but that the whole world is dying too.

No comments: