Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Movies Watched in June and July

Got drunk last night on hobo swill, was feeling sick for most of the day, but am now regaining my strength. Got to remember not to drink and blog, so if you've noticed some posts disappearing, now you know why.

Thought I'd post something light, about some of the newest movies I recently watched.

I get pretty much all my DVDs from the library, which means I don't spend a dime on any of it, (I'm the frugal living expert extraordinaire, good at saving money, just not so great at making it) so there's usually a fairly long waiting list on new releases, where it can sometimes take a couple of months to finally get a title, it's that delayed gratification at work, it's good for you, and that was the case with these.

The Theory of Everything

My rating: 2.5 stars

I wasn't that impressed with this movie, the acting was top notch, I'll give it that, but strangely Stephen Hawking's life story didn't much interest me. I think I'll stick with his books, where it's all about the ideas, without the personality, which I didn't much care for.

Inherent Vice

My rating: 2 stars

Another major disappointment. I found this movie extremely boring, way too long, and hard to follow. I also felt extremely annoyed with the actors, like they were all wrong for the part, and absolutely hated Joaquin Phoenix in this. I still don't quite understand what this movie was about, and really don't think it's worth the effort.

Wild

My rating: 2 stars

A female drug addict on the road to recovery, leaving behind a bad relationship, after the death of her mother, with absolutely no backpacking experience decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail alone, a trail that extends over 2600 miles from Southern California to British Columbia, Canada. Thought this would be good, but it was just okay. Don't really see it as having replay value, and as backpacking movies go, I enjoyed The Way, staring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez much more.

Whiplash

My rating: 2.5 stars

This is the story of an ambitious jazz drummer in an elite music school's relationship with his abusive teacher. Not really too big on music centered movies, but this went pretty fast, kept me watching from beginning to end, but probably wouldn't need to see it again.

Nightcrawler

My rating: 3 stars

This movie was pretty good the first viewing, but lost some of the rush the second time around. Definitely worth seeing at least once though. Overall it was very fast paced and entertaining from beginning to end, about the sleazy underworld of freelance accident scene filming, where if it bleeds it leads, and the bloodier and more gruesome the footage the more money it pays. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal, too, and if you know his work, he's never done a bad movie, usually top notch all the way.

Birdman

My rating: 2 stars

Didn't like it at all, but if you're a theater person, which I'm not, who is either into acting, or going to live plays, you'd probably like it.

Lucy

My rating: 3 stars

Very fast, fast paced from beginning to end, and probably a tad bit too short, I enjoyed this movie. Reminded me of the movie Limitless. A drug that makes you super smart, superhuman, and eventually expanding beyond the human form, beyond flesh, merging with divinity. Repeat value? Probably. Could have been a little bit more, but for what it is, it wasn't bad.

Interstellar

My rating: 4 stars

By far the best movie of the group. It's slow paced, it's long, but it's worth it. A dying earth, the human race is facing extinction. The solution is sought in outer space. Quantum physics, time travel, worm holes, interstellar space travel, the 5th dimension, or was it the 4th dimension? I don't know, I need to see it again, but it'll be a long wait. Was the only movie of the group that I kept checked out for the maximum time. This one will go down in history as being a classic. So much more deserving of an Academy Award than Birdman.

Well, there you have it, these are not the only movies I watched in June and July, but they are the newest ones.

Still got a couple more movies I'm waiting for, most notably John Wick, and have seen a few other older movies that turned out to be surprisingly good, but I'll save that for another time. Just remember if you haven't seen Interstellar yet, do give it a go, it's a great movie, I totally recommend it. Is one of the better movies I've seen in a long time.

No comments: