Monday, June 15, 2015

Listening

Interesting day. Because I'm strapped for cash, I, and one of the people I live with, have been taking online survey's, and very often the payment is in the form of a gift card. Also, some of these companies have sweepstakes, and I was lucky enough to win a gift card for Kmart. I don't shop at Kmart. Okay, maybe like 20 years ago I bought something there.

Anyway, so I had this purpose today to go off the beaten path, to roads never traveled before, a bicycle ride to the one and only Kmart store left in town. Apparently they're in trouble, economically, and I can see for myself, from first hand experience, as an eyewitness, that they're going under, it's only a matter of time. The prices aren't as cheap as I remember them to be, and the service is mediocre, would never shop there again, unless I happen to get another gift card.

I got up early, left at around 10 o'clock this morning, but it was already hot. I never road my bike this route before, so it was an adventure, actually pretty fun. I've learned a few tricks along the way, like avoid busy intersections at all costs, look for side roads, and today I found some, riding the back alley ways, it's so much better. I am so happy that I have a good bike that is dependable and fast. So far, after about 800 miles, I haven't had a flat tire yet. Am also grateful that at the time I purchased it, I had the foresight to pick up a rear rack and a rack trunk, that has saved the day, has made shopping on my bike a lot easier.

Anyway, it's going to be really hot this coming week. Like the forecast projects 108 and 109 tomorrow and the next day, so my running goal is off. I can't run in this heat.

I know, I was making so much progress. Funny thing is, most of my progress was made when we had cooler than average weather, when it was in the upper seventies, at a time that we usually have nineties. Well, now the hundreds are here. Even if you get up early, run at the crack of dawn, there will be days that it'll never get out of the nineties. Seriously. It'll be a high of 110, and at midnight, it's still 98. It's so oppressive, like totally unnatural, not the kind place suitable for humans to live in.

Will still be riding the bike though, and will be picking up the running again as soon as I feel less encumbered by the heat.

Thanks again for listening.

No comments: