Saturday, May 23, 2015

Spontaneous Insights

Spontaneous insights, I used to have them all the time, but lately it almost seemed like they had stopped completely, until a few nights ago, when I was having one, it occurred to me that the insights haven't stopped at all, all that's changed is that I haven't been writing them down. And just like dreams, if you don't write them down right away, they are easily forgotten.

This blog has given me a reason to write. Okay, I was writing before the blog, but having a blog gives you that extra motivation to keep the writing coming. You tend to pay attention to things that you see as potential blog post topics, that you wouldn't otherwise give a second thought to.

Okay, so it occurred to me that I have spontaneous insights that come to me all the time, but it is only through writing that they ever see the light of day, as I'm not ordinarily inclined to talk about them as a subject of conversation. You could say that my creative dry spell of seeming not to have as many spontaneous insights or original ideas, coincides with my diminishing interest in writing and of having a blog.

I'm facing this obstacle of not being able to see any good reason for doing this, there's certainly no external reward for doing this, I get virtually no feedback, no financial payback, and it so often feels as though nobody else is reading. So if there's any reward it's something that I've got to create myself, a reason for doing this that fulfills myself, such as seeing this as good writing practice, and the opportunity to develop and explore ideas that perhaps wouldn't be realized anywhere else. And as such, seeing it in this way, it turns this into a valuable tool for self-transformation and intellectual growth, which, if you can maintain that perspective, is a good reason after all.

So the insight I have is that my creative self depends on writing. It is only through writing that these spontaneous insights are given a life. It is only through writing that I can explore ideas of a philosophical, introspective, imaginative nature. If I stop writing, I stop thinking. Sure, I think first, but I need to write these thoughts down for these thoughts to evolve.

What I mean by spontaneous insights are simply those thoughts that suddenly, mysteriously pop into your mind like a flash of lightning, that involve seeing or understanding something in a new way, seeing something from a different point-of-view, and grasping the meaning of something that never occurred to you before. It may not necessarily be anything extraordinary, or world changing, or even all that important, and it may not even be entirely original or innovative, in that other people may have had the insight too, but on a personal level it is new to you and that is what makes it special.

No comments: