Sunday, May 24, 2015

May Fitness Update

I reached a major milestone today, I ran my first timed nonstop mile run in over twenty years, clocking in at 9 minutes on the dot.

I hadn't even been training for it, haven't been doing a regular running routine, just running a quarter mile or so to the store here and there, but without any regularity - so you could say my nine minute mile is my pre-training time, which, although it's no Olympian accomplishment, isn't bad for someone in their late thirties whose hardly run at all.

The difference is though that usually when I jog the short distance to the store, sort of a spur of the moment impulse, I'm carrying a backpack and at least a quart of water, whereas on today's timed run, I traveled light, carrying nothing at all. Actually it's the first time I've run without my backpack in years, and it certainly made it a lot easier.

I think I can easily bring this time down to an eight minute mile, and if I keep it up, by the end of the summer, and maybe even sooner, I should be reaching my 3 mile goal, and doing it in 25 minutes or less. Yeah, I see it as extremely doable.

I'm very proud of myself, because I've been procrastinating about doing this for years, where there's always been some obstacle in my way, from sinus problems, the weather being too hot, drinking too much beer, to just not feeling strong enough, but am now FINALLY making some progress.

Although I have been walking at least a mile everyday for years, even doing a few 15 milers, and consider myself to be a relatively fit person, am slim, somewhat muscular, never been overweight, but just wasn't a runner, I attribute my recent success to my regular cycling routine, where I've been doing ten to fifteen mile bike rides two to three days a week for a few months now. It's the first time I've attempted a timed run since I started up the regular cycling, and am definitely seeing a connection, that it's helped improve my fitness in a big way. So, hurray for that.

I'll keep you posted. The next fitness update, next month or so, will post (hopefully) improved run times, an increase in distance, my first 1.5, 2 miler, 3 miler, we'll see; as well as whatever thoughts I have on the matter, such as how doing this has influenced other aspects of my life, the quality of my life, my state of mind, and plans for the future.

No comments: