Sunday, May 31, 2015

Inspirations for Running

So, I ran another mile, brought my time down a bit, to 8 minutes and 54 seconds. It's really hard though, I've got to tell you, because it's getting progressively hotter.

It would probably be a lot easier if I did my run in the morning, and soon I will HAVE to, or it won't happen, but honestly I've never been big on doing any heavy duty exercising in the morning, other than walking, or yoga, my drive to exercise doesn't usually kick in until the afternoon or evening. That's just how I've always been, though doesn't mean that's how I always must be, but just saying, I generally exercise later in the day.

Anyway, we had our first 100 degree day today. Sunday and Monday is expected to be even hotter, and hopefully, if the forecast is right, after that it'll be cooling down again into the nineties, which strangely enough, will feel cooler. My goal for running is three miles, with no plans of running further. Why? Well, I suppose it goes back to my childhood, where one of my greatest role models was Bruce Lee, and in his book Basic Training, he mentioned that he regularly ran three miles. So, it stuck in my mind as a good distance to run. Plus, I have no desire to participate in any races, and running for the health benefits, inasmuch as toning my muscles and improving my cardiovascular health, is actually only a small part of it.

Mostly there's two major reasons motivating me to run. One, for survival; for self-preservation. I may one day be attacked, or need to evade attack, and being able to run away, to run consistently for 30 minutes or longer, may save my life. Two, I'm kind of a high strung person, hyperactive "high energy" person, with an inclination to anxiety and depression and of drinking alcohol to alleviate those tendencies, and I have found exercise, such as running, to be a healthy alternative, tiring me out and triggering those "happy, feel good" endorphins, as a way of balancing myself out naturally.

So, we've got running as a tool to enhance one's ability to survive and thrive. But I will also add that I'm someone who is committed to living car-free. Which by the way, don't feel bad if you drive, I don't have a problem with you or anyone else driving, although I do in fact hate cars, but I do recognize their value, it's just not a value that I myself wish to personally partake in. This could change, but as it is now, unless I have to travel extremely long distances, I'm good getting around as much as possible through the power of my own locomotion: Riding my bike, walking, or running. So, being able to run, and developing my skills as a runner, can only help to serve and enhance my car free existence.

It's good for me to have some tangible goal. I would say I'm definitely a goal oriented person. It's what keeps me at my best. Keeps me sharp. Gives me a reason for living. Without goals, I sort of wither away, the quality of my life takes a nose dive.

So besides the running, need to work on those pushups too. Got to fit at least two dedicated days a week to making some significant gains in my strength, and pushups are probably the most tangible measure of progress in that area. Got the goal of the three mile run, and will have to stick to that 20 pushups goal, and that's good quality pushups, with good form, and my chin touching the floor.

That's all for now. Another fitness update, much sooner than you probably expected. Not what you were expecting, or hoping, am I not keeping you entertained? Well I'm sorry, it's all part of the personal growth, self-transformation memoir in progress, eventually leading to some great philosophical ideas and insights, I'm sure of it. You'll just have to stay tuned, and if you get bored you can always turn the channel, and I will fade away into oblivion, as will you, and that's fine, it's just words on a screen anyway, anything more is just an illusion, as is perhaps, all else. Such is life, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful or worth living.

No comments: