Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Follow-Up

Do you have a blog? Have you been blogging for years?

Well, let me tell you, if you suddenly stop, without warning, without giving any farewell message, a reason for the absence, an explanation, and you just simply stop updating, and the weeks become months, and the months become years, and if you wait long enough, eventually the page will completely disappear, either because the blogspot (or whatever may be the case, wordpress, typepad, tumblr, whatever) goes out of business, or changes ownership, and the rules and regulations change, believe me, whether it happens right away or later down the road, if you have any kind of dedicated readership, you disappoint a lot of people. It's like, okay, guess you didn't really care about me, didn't care about us, didn't care about your readers. It's really fucking annoying. Yeah, eventually, as time goes by, you forget about them, as they apparently forgot about you in like a split second. For you, maybe it took a bit longer, a few years maybe, but eventually, the piece of shit that could have been a diamond, no longer exists.

Yeah, I've been reading blogs for a few years now (okay it's been over a decade), and it really annoys me when blogs I like just suddenly stop, without warning. No update. Nothing. They just stop posting. Okay, unless you fucking died, that is not right. Yeah, it annoys me also when they actually do give a warning too, because if you like their writing, and they're still writing elsewhere, but they don't tell you where, you feel a bit cheated when you aren't included in their latest endeavors. Whatever. The point is, I don't want to be one of those people that does that. Although, arguably it is quite possible that there are few people left reading this who actually care (and no this is not a desperate cry for attention, actually I'd prefer it if you don't comment on this) but uh, it just occurred to me that when I go, I don't just want to leave you hanging, I would like to give some kind of farewell message, or ideally some sort of followup, a link to something better, like a book I wrote or something. That's what I'd like to do. Thanks for your time.

No comments: