Sunday, February 8, 2015

Dreams of the Future

I really need to start a dream diary again. Yeah, I know, this is not the first time I've posted about this. It's something that has come up again and again over the years. And it's not like I'm going to use this blog as my dream diary, rest assured if anything it would only be for recording the more memorable of dreams, but certainly not every single one. That is better served by a notebook. Nothing fancy. Just a basic dollar store special would do. Most dreams remembered are usually not fully detailed, just a few lines or so of information. Therefore, there's usually not enough there for a blog post anyway.

Last night I had a dream. It was a dream involving travel, being on some sort of super elevated train, involving water, felt sort of like being on a roller coaster, but going really really high up into the sky, and than going back down to the level of water, being sort of a combination of train, plane, and boat. I remember traveling over some distance with people, it was like a several hour trip, but I don't remember who they were, and seeing the empire state building, looking down on it, seeing it on the horizon, very far away, and wondering if that was where I was headed. You see, in this dream, I remember not being quite sure where I was going. I thought maybe it was headed that way, but just then we took a nose dive, going down a huge hill, like being on a roller coaster, and landing on water, where the roller coaster became a boat, finally stopping off of some sort of transit dock, off of what appeared to be a lake, I'm thinking maybe somewhere in Ohio, but I could be way off, which was some kind of vacation retreat. And that is all I remember.

There's not much there, but it made a strong enough impression on me that I am able to write about it for the first time several hours after it happenned. Had I not been thinking about keeping a dream diary these past few weeks I would have totally forgotten this. I wonder how much is forgotten because it is quickly dismissed as unimportant and therefore is not written down. Probably a lot. This is why I've got to get back into the habit of writing down my dreams. Got to do it. There is a certain discipline involved. It takes a huge amount of commitment to do this everyday. Sometimes you're lazy. Just want to go back to sleep, or do whatever it is you do when you wake up, eat, read, take a shower, exercise, make tea, whatever. Anything but dwell on your dreams, which are often dismissed as unimportant, trivial, nonsensical fantasies.

Random insight:

Okay, I've got a new theory for you. My theory, and this is a huge shot in the dark, in the sense that it's totally unscientific in that it's probably impossible to verify, but those theories, which are more imaginative than anything, are sometimes the most interesting because they are uncensored by expectations of what is or is not possible. Meaning that sometimes you just got to put an idea out there, no matter how ridiculous or unprovable it may first seem, and once you do that the verifying can come later.

The theory is this: that when you dream of things that don't make a lot of sense, that you don't really understand, one possibility for it is that maybe you're seeing the future, like hundreds or thousands of years into the future, and because things are so radically different, you don't have any kind of reference point for understanding it, that you just interpret it as being nonsense, when it actually may not be. But if you could remember what you dream, because maybe some of these prophetic dreams are not that distant, maybe just twenty or thirty years into the future, rather than twenty or thirty centuries, then maybe if you write them down, and have a record of it then maybe you would be able to see something there that you wouldn't recognize otherwise.

And that is my random insight of the day. Or just another supporting argument in favor of keeping a dream diary. Keep reading, there's bound to be more to come.

No comments: