Saturday, January 24, 2015

Techie

So, I finally had a preview of Windows 8.1. Had a low opinion of it going in, based on screen shots and such, and not really being a fan of touch screens for anything other than phones, ATM, and the card readers at store check out counters, I wasn't enthusiastic about a operating system designed for that. Touch screens are best for shallow communication, quick, get in and get out, not much else.

Well, I myself am still on Windows 7, but the computer belonging to the people I live with died recently, and they bought a new one, and it had Windows 8.1. I set it up, because I'm the techie of the house. The computer itself is much faster than the old one it's replacing, faster processor, more memory, and I set up Windows 8.1 to resemble Windows 7 as much as possible, such as loading directly to desktop, as opposed to that weird grid mode, I forget what it's called, but if you don't have a touch screen it makes no sense to use.

Anyway, overall, I'm really not that impressed. It's got a lot of features that I don't need. Full integration with Microsoft.com? No. Apps galore? NO. Not a fan of a cluttered desktop. I like to keep things simple. By the way, this is not a tech review. I could do one, but what is the point, there's already thousand of them out there. Anyway, I make the best of it. It's not my computer, though I do use it occasionally, but uh, if I get an inheritance I'm buying a Chromebook. See how that works out. Can't get any simpler than that.

All I need is the Internet, the ability to watch videos, to edit photos, to read, to write, and to blog. Nothing more. I don't play games anymore, not like I used to. Not a gamer. I tried to play some games on the new computer, that couldn't be played on the old computer, and I was completely bored out of my mind. That phase of my life is over. I don't even play poker anymore. What do I do? I read, exercise, meditate, and sometimes write something. I watch DVDs too, but less and less, lately I've been bored with that too.

I just want to simplify my life. It's already pretty simple, but I want to simplify it even more. I don't even own a cell phone, let alone a smart phone. I don't drive a car. I ride a bike. I'm actually pretty low tech. There is a passing interest in the study of technology and electronics, and I am fairly technologically literate, but that's more so out of a desire to better understand the world, as a supplement to spiritual knowledge. And no, I'm not religious.

I see what's going on. The direction our society is heading in. Faster faster faster. We're going so fast, but unfortunately the information is shallow, that we're going nowhere fast. We're getting Facebook at a million miles per hour. We're getting commercials at super high resolution. It's all about selling you something. And I'm not against buying and selling, but really, there are things higher than this, more important than this, and technology, is not taking us there, it's leading us away. Okay. I'm done.

By the way, I'm not anti-technology. But just saying, it should serve a useful purpose, and if it doesn't, despite the flashy high tech packaging, if it actually makes you less productive, makes you dumber, in that you delegate all of your thinking to it, making you completely dependent on it like a drug that you don't actually need, that isn't making your life better, then you should reconsider what you use, and simplify things, like I'm planning to do. Focus more on quality over quantity.

It's not about bigger, brighter, faster, more expensive, but about what actually works, what gets the job done in the most efficient manner. Like a bouquet of flowers, the atmosphere is electrified with positive healing vibes. There are different forms of productivity, efficiency, of usefulness, it's not all all about building things in factories and making money, but also about improving the quality of life in the subjective aesthetic sense of personal meaning and joy, and technology can both help and hinder in that way, too.

No comments: