Thursday, October 30, 2014

Inter-library Loan

I'm a reader. I like books. Reading is important to me. But for awhile, I had fallen into a slump, where I couldn't really find anything good to read. I read, but I wasn't really enjoying most of what I was reading.

I tried dozens of books I had randomly checked out from the library, but for the most part I couldn't really get into any of them. Even looking over the list of every book I read over the past five years, most of them were nothing special. I've read very few great books, and many mediocre ones.

I realized the problem is that many of the books I am most interested in reading are not available at any of the public libraries in this city, so I've been settling for second best. I don't buy books, everything I read I get from the library, so I'm limited to what I can get there.

Well, I've been spending time perusing goodreads.com and amazon.com, researching different books, compiling an ideal reading list for myself, and like I said, most of the books that I'm interested in reading are not available at my library.

So I finally wised up, and realized, hey wait a second, I can read every single one of these books, all I have to do is utilize the public libraries inter-library loan service, which will retrieve a copy of the books I request from another city. The only limitation is that you only get the book for three weeks, can't renew it, and cannot request the same title twice in the same year. So, if you can't finish the book in three weeks, you're out of luck, better luck next year.

I've only utilized the service twice in my life, once in Wisconsin in my late teens, and once shortly after I moved to Arizona. I remember the books clearly as if it were yesterday. The first was Magic and Mystery in Tibet by Alexandra David-Neel. The second was The Biggest Secret by David Icke.


I've decided I'd like to read everything by William S. Burroughs and Charles Bukowski. There are others as well, but that's what I'm focusing on first. Just requested two books last week: The Job: Interviews with William S. Burroughs. And You Can't Win by Jack Black, which I read somewhere as being William S. Burroughs' favorite book. I got a notification yesterday that You Can't Win is ready for pick-up. Never thought it would arrive that fast. I'm still in the middle of reading Pimp: The Story of My Life by Iceberg Slim, which I cannot renew, but I've picked up my reading pace, and should have it finished by tomorrow, and then I can start the other book.

Now there are no limitations. I can read anything my heart desires. The focus from this point forward will be on quality over quantity.

No comments: