Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Price is Not Right

There's probably no point in trying to convince people to stop eating junk food, to stop drinking soda, and to stop eating fast food burgers from places like McDonalds.

Their not worth helping, their not worth enlightening. Nine times out of ten they don't care what you think, because a) they like doing it, b) they don't think there is anything wrong with doing it, and c) they are going to keep on doing it no matter what you have to say about it.

You could have all the evidence before you that what they are eating is made from Soylent Green, or radioactive waste, or ground up pieces of plastic, or really anything else proven to be unfit for human consumption, and there are plenty of morons who would continue eating it so long as they like the way it tastes and the price is right.

It's like trying to convince a smoker to stop smoking on the grounds that smoking causes lung cancer. What smoker doesn't know that smoking is bad for their health? No, they just don't care to think about it, they do it because they like it, and they don't care about the long term consequences. They are lost causes. Most people are lost causes.

Why should I care if my neighbor is eating all the wrong foods? It's not like I like them. It's not like I have a vested interest in them living to be a hundred. So, I don't really care any more, about all the pieces of shit people making bad choices, shortening their lives. Maybe the world will be better off without them. Survival of the fittest. Let the pieces of shit weed themselves out with all the junk food and cigarettes they can squeeze into their pitiful little lives.

That's the elitist point of view.

It's harsh. To some degree the coldness of it is unenlightened. But the truth is I generally don't like people. Not all, but most feel like an uncomfortable burden. I know. Everyday I live a lie. It's not like I go up to strangers and tell them I don't like them, I just don't talk to them, unless they talk to me, in which case I try to be as polite and respectful as possible, but what I'm really thinking is I can't wait to get away from this person.

For clarification:

I'm not advocating the promotion of ignorance, or the use of deception. I don't think it's all right to promote unhealthy habits, or to deceive people into using harmful products just to turn a quick buck. I'm not for that. Despite my dislike of people, I am not an unethical person.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be educated, that information concerning the safety of any product or service shouldn't be publicly available to anybody who wants it. It should. I think it should.

I'm just saying that some people just aren't worth the time and effort to change, because they are completely closed off to it. They are going to keep doing what they are doing even if it kills them. You can't save everyone, but you can save yourself, and that is your number one priority.

The point of this post is that you can't force anyone to live as you live, to think as you think, or to eat as you eat. It is a waste of time trying to change people who don't want to change. It is better to focus your energy on people who are actually receptive to your message. To provide the information, making it freely available to all, but without forcing it on anyone. It's here for the taking, but I'm not going to shove it down your throat.

No comments: