Friday, September 14, 2012

The Shepherds and the Sheep

You know, I never did write anything about 9/11 this year. I have before, but I guess there is not much more for me to say, because in all honesty, that day really doesn't mean much to me. What I mean is, I was not personally effected by any of it, nor did I feel like my life, or the way I look upon the world changed in any significant way as a result of it. Although I did have a cousin that was there at the time, not far away, at her office in the Garment District of NYC. She lived in Brooklyn at the time, commuted to and from work on the subway system, and of course with the subway shut down, she was one of those people evacuated out of Manhattan on foot. So I had one family member personally effected, who was there at the time that it happened. But as to myself, the day does not carry as much weight for me, as it surely must for those who were actually there and personally effected by it.

Well anyway, the one new thing I would like add, in relation to 9/11, is that for the last few years now, I've got into the habit of watching a 9/11 documentary that is shown each year on that day, commercial free, on the History Channel, called 102 Minutes That Changed America. It's pretty good. I mean, I don't mean to make light of it, trivializing it in any manner, but being a huge fan of disaster films, you know, movies like The Day After Tomorrow, The Poseidon Adventure, Deep Impact, Daylight, etc., I thought that documentary was actually one of the best disaster films I've ever seen, and would love to see it on an IMAX screen.

Although I've seen it so many times now that much of the shock factor has kind of worn off, but the first couple times I saw it it was a very emotional experience, you know, very surreal and powerful; was very well done. If you haven't seen yet, I'd recommend it. You can actually find it on YouTube, but the picture quality may not be as good, and it's something that you really need to see on a large screen to do it justice. But if you'd like a preview of it, you can view it here.

The primary insight I would like to share with you, is an observation I made this time around while watching 102 Minutes that Changed America that I don't recall noticing before. Is that in this film, after the first tower came down, and the people were being evacuated in the streets while in a noticeable state of panic and shock, just how much they reminded me of a herd of cattle or sheep, and the law enforcement personnel were like the shepherd's managing the crowd as if they were sheep. How when in a situation of extreme chaos and panic and large scale disaster, just how helpless most people become, where they have no idea what to do, what direction to go in, and have to be told what to do every step of the way.

Of course this is not a new idea, I've intellectualized about it before, but this was the first time that I actually noticed it happening before my eyes, where it really sank in and I physically experienced the emotional depth of this insight. Nothing more to add to it really, at least not now, but just wanted to share this insight with you, and about how seeing this was extremely educational in itself, and is worth watching the film just for that.

*This is post 7 of 20, part of my "20 posts in 30 days" challenge. With more soon on the way, either later today, or tomorrow. Oh, and I'm so fucking irritated, and embarrassed that I misspelled "shepherds," as "shepards." And I cannot fix it without deleting the post, but I won't, as a reminder to be more diligent next time. Google spell checker, why did you fail me?