Saturday, September 22, 2012

The First Day of Fall

Today is the autumn equinox, the end of summer, the beginning of fall, one of only two days out of the entire year (the other is the spring equinox; and the exception is the equator) in which the sunrise and sunset are exactly 12 hours apart.

It is a time of balance, of evenness, but also an indicator of change, marking the crossroads of transition on the horizon; of cooler and shorter days, and longer nights; and perhaps different moods and insights. It also marks the transition from the astrological signs of Virgo to Libra, which not coincidentally is associated with truth, balance, and the scales of justice.

I'm no astrologer, but I'm thinking that the astrological signs are less about the stars, and more about the earth, being based on actual observable truths found in nature, associated with the different seasons, and the subtle and not so subtle differences between the months; physical truths, having corresponding psychological and philosophical truths.

For instance, you could say that October has its own vibe, which in large part is influenced by such things as the weather: temperature, moisture, and ratios of color and light; which in turn, influences our psychology. What is interesting about the astrological signs, is that rather than just encompassing one month, they each overlap two months, where for instance, Libra is part of September and October, Scorpio is part of October and November. And I think the reason this is so, has a lot to do with the solstices and equinoxes occurring in the latter part of the month. So that the astrological sign reflects this change, this transitional point, and carries the torch over into the next month.

For me, I was born in the fall, in late November. Born on the cusp between Scorpio and Sagittarius. I have the probing, secretive, passionate mind of Scorpio, and the philosophical, adventurous, lover of geography, books, and travel of Sagittarius. And of course, there are other astrological factors, not just sun sign, but moon sign, and rising sign, etc. I've got Libra rising, Sag Moon, so that covers all of fall.

Is astrology bullshit? Who cares. The qualities are true, irrespective of astrology, and the interest is authentic. So no harm is done.

But I will say that I am especially fond of the fall, and that not only is it my favorite time of the year, but it is when I feel most alive, or rather, I feel like in some way I'm actually born again each time the fall comes around. Does this have anything to do with the fact that I was born in the fall? I don't know.

I was kind of interested in finding out how people feel about that, that is, do you feel the same way about the season in which you were born? Do you feel a special relationship to it? Is it your favorite season? How does it effect you? If you're not sure, you'll have to pay closer attention next time around.

The question is whether or not, or to what extent, the time and season in which you were born, has a lasting effect on shaping your character and destiny. For that, I could not say for certain, and I don't think it really matters all that much, but what is interesting, is to take notice of the actual physical changes of the seasons, and how, or to what extent they influence our internal mental and emotional states. In this way, astrology can be used as a key, like the tarot, comparing what it says, with what you actually see and experience yourself.

*This is post 14 of 20, part of my "20 posts in 30 days" challenge. For two related posts, I refer you to my "Autumn Equinox 2010" and "Cycles," where I wrote much more extensively on the subject. No need to repeat myself ad infinitum.