Monday, March 15, 2010

What I'm Reading: March/April 2010

My mood and state of mind is very much influenced by the books I read. I'm always reading something, so I guess I am a bookworm, but not a pasty faced bookworm, no way, far from it, I get plenty of fresh air, sunshine, and exercise. So it's not all books, but they are an important part of my life. If it's a great book, it tends to make me feel great, inspiring and energizing my entire outlook, stimulating a Renaissance of fresh ideas and insights.

On the other hand if the book sucks, well then, it just sort of sucks out my entire enthusiasm and creativity for the day. So often times when I'm feeling uninspired to write, or am having a blogging dry spell, it tends to coincide with a series of disappointing reads.

Books are food for thought. Just like I need good quality nutritious food, I also need good quality thought provoking books, providing me with nutritious brain-food and creative stimulation. And if I'm creatively inspired, then so too can I hopefully do the same for you. This is one way I'm not selfish. I genuinely want to share what I know with others, to inspire others, while also inspiring myself. I take pleasure in it.

And although I may not be very educated, and will likely never again set foot in a classroom, I consider myself to be a lifelong student, and will be a reader for the rest of my life. I like books. Like to be surrounded by them. But not just any books. Great books. Classics. Books of Practical Knowledge and Wisdom. Intellectual Antiquities of Esoteric Studies and Alchemical Mysteries and Magic. I just made that one up, like the way it sounds. People say I should be a librarian, but I don't want to be a librarian. I don't want to work in a library, I just want my own library, filled with great books, antique maps and astronomical charts and Pre-Raphaelite paintings gracing the walls, and globes and statues and fresh flowers and plants beside every row of shelves. I had a dream of this library. Maybe it's my yogic astral travel dream library, where I go and read in my sleep, waking up with all sorts of profound new knowledge, intuitive realizations and mystical revelations of the highest order.

I plan on reading everything by Rudolf Steiner at some point. That's one of my long-term projects. Thanks Zee. But for now, I have a new pile of books from the library, and for the sake of keeping the continuity of this blog going, I thought I'd list them here, as these books will pretty much be my main influence over the next month or two. I've already read Walden back in high school, but I need to read it again. And I've pretty much read most of a Brief History of Everything, but I think I need to read it once more, because I was having major sinus problems and splitting headaches (all last week) throughout most of it, so consequently my retention and understanding of it is a bit cloudy.


1. A Brief History of Everything. Ken Wilber.

2. History of Beauty. Umberto Eco.

3. Worldly Wisdom: Great Books and the Meanings of Life. James Sloan Allen.

4. Ancient Philosophy. Sir Anthony Kenny.

5. Pilgrims to the Wild. John P. O'Grady.

6. Transcendentalism: A Reader. Joel Myerson.

7. Walden. Henry David Thoreau.

8. The Four Yogas: A Guide to the Spiritual Paths of Action, Devotion, Meditation and Knowledge. Swami Adiswarananada.

9. The Complete Essays of Montaigne. Translated by Donald M. Frame.

10. The Writing Life: Writer's on How They Think and Work. Marie Arana.

No comments: